- 2 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 cup shortening
- 4 eggs
- 4 teaspoons water
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups quick-cooking oats
- 2 cups chopped raisins
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Additional granulated sugar or colored sugar
- In a large bowl, cream sugar and shortening. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in water. Combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in the oats, raisins and walnuts.
- On a surface sprinkled with additional sugar or colored sugar, roll out dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut out with desired cookie cutters. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until set. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 12 dozen.
Originally published as Grandma's Oatmeal Cookies in Grandma's Great Desserts Cookbook 1992, p46
Reviews for Grandma's Oatmeal Cookies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Dec. 6, 2013
"Great quick cookie! Absolutely adorable...."
Reviewed Jan. 15, 2013
"These are wonderful. A definite keeper. They are soft a chewy, not hard. I halved it because I knew I'd eat them all. Now I need to make more."