Grandma's Mac and Cheese Recipe
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/3 cups 2% milk
- 2/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2/3 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1-1/2 cups cooked elbow macaroni
- 1. In a saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour, salt, mustard and pepper until smooth; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Reduce heat. Add the cheeses and Worcestershire sauce; stir until cheese is melted. Fold in macaroni.
- 2. Pour into a 1-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 10-15 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 2 servings.
1-1/2 cups (prepared with reduced-fat butter, fat-free milk and reduced-fat cheeses) equals 474 calories, 23 g fat (15 g saturated fat), 77 mg cholesterol, 1,022 mg sodium, 41 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 30 g protein.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.