- 1 package lemon cake mix (regular size)
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup poppy seeds
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, pudding mix, eggs, water and oil; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes. Fold in poppy seeds. Transfer to a greased and floured 13x9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- For drizzle, in a small bowl, combine the confectioners' sugar, water and lemon juice; drizzle over cake. Yield: 15 servings.
Reviews for Grandma's Lemon Poppy Seed Cake
"quick and easy but way too much icing. You could halve it and have plenty."
"Great! For the drizzle I poke holes in cake just out of the oven and pour on. I don't use water in my drizzle."
"I have made many lemon poppy seed breads, cakes etc but this one is amazing and easy...I made this recipe muffin form and my husband went crazy..a new favorite for him..."
"good - simple"
"This cake is deliciously moist inside with a lightly crisp outside. We like to make it in a bundt pan best."
"So easy and so tasty!! I did use a bundt pan (greased and floured) and baked for ~50 minutes. Beautiful! It's a keeper!"
"I have made this recipe several times and it is excellent each time. It makes about 2 dozen cupcakes. This is one of the most requested recipes at all the gatherings. I like to use only lemon juice and powdered sugar for the glaze. Gives it a great sweet tart bite. Yummo!"
"I make this recipe all the time! My friends and family all love the cake, and the icing is just as big a hit. Easy and simple to put together, it's great for muffins too. Makes about 2.5 - 3 dozen."