- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 6 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 cups water
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon extract
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch salt
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- In a large saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch. Stir in water until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat to low; cook and stir for 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir 1 cup of hot filling into egg yolks; return all to pan stirring constantly.
- Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir in butter. Gently stir in lemon juice, vinegar and extract. Pour hot filling into pastry shell.
- For meringue, combine water and cornstarch in a saucepan until smooth. Cook and stir until thickened and clear, about 2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, beat the egg whites, vanilla and salt on medium speed until stiff peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Gradually add cornstarch mixture, beating well on high. Immediately spread evenly over hot filling, sealing edges to crust
- Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until meringue is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Grandma's Lemon Pie
Sort By :
"i will give the meringue 10 stars!!! i have looked for 45 years for the secret ingredient to a good meringue - one that would not weep and separate - and this is it! i will use this recipe from now on. Thank you!"
"The lemon filling was wonderful! I followed the recipe exactly for the meringue and it turned out "soupy". I will try another meringue topping recipe in the future."
"It´s just lovely"
"It is the best lemon pie I've had. Meringue stays nice for a couple of days. Filling has nice lemon tang."
"The lemon filling was great but the topping came out flat and very good. I will use the filling again but use a different recipe for the maringue."