Grandma's Lemon Pie Recipe
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 6 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 cups water
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon extract
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch salt
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch. Stir in water until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat to low; cook and stir for 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir 1 cup of hot filling into egg yolks; return all to pan stirring constantly.
- 2. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir in butter. Gently stir in lemon juice, vinegar and extract. Pour hot filling into pastry shell.
- 3. For meringue, combine water and cornstarch in a saucepan until smooth. Cook and stir until thickened and clear, about 2 minutes.
- 4. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, beat the egg whites, vanilla and salt on medium speed until stiff peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Gradually add cornstarch mixture, beating well on high. Immediately spread evenly over hot filling, sealing edges to crust
- 5. Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until meringue is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 378 calories, 13 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 96 mg cholesterol, 186 mg sodium, 61 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 3 g protein.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.