- from the heat. Stir in butter. Gently stir in lemon juice, vinegar
- and extract. Pour hot filling into pastry shell.
- For meringue, combine water and cornstarch in a saucepan until
- smooth. Cook and stir until thickened and clear, about 2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, beat the egg whites, vanilla and salt on
- medium speed until stiff peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1
- tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and
- sugar is dissolved. Gradually add cornstarch mixture, beating well
- on high. Immediately spread evenly over hot filling, sealing edges
- to crust
- Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until meringue is golden brown.
- Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours
- before serving. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 378 calories, 13 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 96 mg cholesterol, 186 mg sodium, 61 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 3 g protein.
Wine: Sweet White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.