Grandma's Gelatin Fruit Salad Recipe
- 2 cups boiling water, divided
- 1 package (3 ounces) lemon gelatin
- 2 cups ice cubes, divided
- 1 can (20 ounces) crushed pineapple, liquid drained and reserved
- 1 package (3 ounces) orange gelatin
- 2 cups miniature marshmallows
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup reserved DOLE® Canned 100% Pineapple Juice
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 large bananas, sliced
- 1 cup whipped topping
- 1/2 cup finely shredded cheddar cheese
- 1. In a large bowl, combine 1 cup water and lemon gelatin. Add 1 cup ice cubes, stirring until melted. Stir in pineapple. Pour into a 13-in. x 9-in. dish coated with cooking spray; refrigerate until set but not firm.
- 2. Repeat with the orange gelatin, remaining water and ice. Stir in marshmallows. Pour over lemon layer; refrigerate until firm.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch. Stir in reserved pineapple juice until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat.
- 4. Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat; stir in butter. Cool to room temperature without stirring. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until chilled.
- 5. Arrange bananas over gelatin. Stir whipped topping into dressing. Spread over bananas. Sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 12-15 servings.
1 piece: 194 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 20mg cholesterol, 64mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (35g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein .
Reviews for Grandma's Gelatin Fruit Salad
"I searched for this recipe for years, until a cousin finally found it for me. This is almost exactly the way my mother used to make this!My mother used all lemon gelatin (I used a box of lemon and a box of pineapple) and made just one layer with all of the fruit and marshmallows stirred in. She didn't use egg in the topping, but I followed the recipe here and did, and it tasted just as I remember it.My gosh, is this delicious! The Cheddar cheese is just the right touch for the sweetness of all that gelatin, marshmallows, etc. Thank you so much for posting this!"