Grandma's Fruit Salad Recipe
"I can't believe how easy this pretty salad is to make," says Carolyn Tomatz of Jackson, Wisconsin. The colorful blend of bananas, pineapple, pears and peaches and grapes is tossed with a creamy pudding sauce. "People of all ages enjoy this dish," Carolyn notes.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. + chilling YIELD:12 servings
- 1 can (20 ounces) unsweetened pineapple chunks
- 1 can (15 ounces) reduced-sugar sliced pears, drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) sliced peaches in juice, drained
- 1-1/2 cups seedless red grapes
- 1 package (3 ounces) cook-and-serve vanilla pudding mix
- 2 medium firm bananas
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 jar (10 ounces) maraschino cherries, well drained
- 1. Drain pineapple, reserving juice in a 1-cup measuring cup. In a large bowl, combine the pineapple,pears, peaches and grapes. Cover and chill.
- 2. Add enough water to pineapple juice to measure 1 cup. Pour into a small saucepan. Whisk in pudding mix. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; set aside to cool to room temperature.
- 3. Slice bananas into a small bowl. Drizzle with lemon juice; gently toss to coast. Let stand for 5 minutes; drain. Add bananas and cherries to chilled fruit. Add cooled pudding; toss gently to combine. Refrigerate until serving. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 12 servings, 1/2 cup per serving.
1/2 cup equals 126 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 59 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 fruit.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC