Grandma's Favorite Sugar Cookies Recipe
“Whenever company came to our house, my mother would bring out a batch of her sugar cookies,” says Ann DeHass, Walnut Creek, Ohio. “To this day, our whole family holds this recipe dear.”
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup plus 2 teaspoons sugar, divided
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 27 to 30 raisins
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and nutmeg; add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream, beating well after each addition. Cover and refrigerate for 1-2 hours or until easy to handle.
- 2. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. round cookie cutter. Place 2 in. apart on lightly greased baking sheets. Sprinkle with remaining sugar. Place a raisin in the center of each cookie.
- 3. Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes or until set and bottoms are lightly browned. Cool for 1 minute before removing to wire racks. Yield: about 2 dozen.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC