Grandma's Favorite Sugar Cookies Recipe
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup plus 2 teaspoons sugar, divided
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-2/3 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 27 to 30 raisins
- In a large bowl, cream butter and 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and nutmeg; add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream, beating well after each addition. Cover and refrigerate for 1-2 hours or until easy to handle.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. round cookie cutter. Place 2 in. apart on lightly greased baking sheets. Sprinkle with remaining sugar. Place a raisin in the center of each cookie.
- Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes or until set and bottoms are lightly browned. Cool for 1 minute before removing to wire racks. Yield: about 2 dozen.
Reviews for Grandma's Favorite Sugar Cookies(1)
Sort By :
In a 1963 Betty Crocker book these cookies are called "Old Fashioned Sour Cream Cookies". After thirty years of thinking about it, I made a batch. I rolled some thin and some thick and we liked them both ways. They last a long time, and they are really good. I'm going to try omitting the nutmeg and using rose water as a test. The recipe is a keeper.
More Recipe Collections
- Cut Out Sugar Cookies >
- Desserts >
- Father's Day Recipes >
- Sour Cream Sugar Cookies >
- Sugar Cookie Recipes >