Grandma's Favorite Hot Cross Buns Recipe
- 4 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 3 cups warm 2% milk (110° to 115°)
- 2 cups canola oil
- 8 eggs
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1-1/3 cups sugar
- 4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 13 to 15 cups all-purpose flour
- 2-2/3 cups raisins
- 2 teaspoons water
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 4 to 5 tablespoons 2% milk
- In a very large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm milk. Add oil, eggs, egg yolks, sugar, cinnamon, salt, cardamom, yeast mixture and 10 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a firm dough. Stir in raisins.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/4 hours.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Cover and let rest 10 minutes. Divide into 72 pieces; shape each into a ball. Place 2 in. apart in four greased 15x10x1-in. baking pans. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 40 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Combine egg whites and water; brush over tops. Bake 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. For icing, combine confectioners' sugar, butter and enough milk to achieve desired consistency. Pipe a cross on top of each bun. Yield: 6 dozen.
Reviews for Grandma's Favorite Hot Cross Buns
Sort By :
"I have made this recipe several times now, and my family's likes it a lot!! The first time I made the full recipe, and it does make a full 6 dozen, too many for my family of 4. I have since cut it in half and still get 3 dozen 2 oz rolls. It has become an Easter favorite!!"
"I am an experienced bread maker and have never had anything turn out like this. The recipe only made 38 instead of 72 and they looked nothing like the picture. I have reviewed the recipe and cannot see where I went wrong. Also the taste is a big thumbs down."
"This recipe has become a staple in our house. Yes, the recipe is ginormous but cut it in half and make it in the bread machine. Very good and impressive."
"The flavor was not what i expected. They raised up ok, but they weren't special. My family members each ate one and were done! A lot left over."
"These were too heavy.....not light like I expected."