Grandma's English Trifle Recipe
This delicious trifle recipe was my grandmother's. I remember Mother telling me stories from her girlhood—especially how her mother would make an enormous dish of this dessert for Saturday night dinners, when they often had guests. If there were leftovers, they'd have that trifle for dessert every night that week until it was gone! Nowadays, on our dairy farm, this recipe always goes over big with my husband and six children.
- 1 prepared loaf pound cake or 1 package (10-3/4 ounces) frozen pound cake, thawed
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup raspberry jam
- 1 package (3 to 3-1/2 ounces) regular or instant vanilla pudding mix
- 2-1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup chilled heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- Slivered almonds
- Maraschino cherries, halved
- 1. Slice pound cake in half horizontally. Spread with jam and replace top of cake. Slice cake into nine pieces. Line the sides and fill the center of a 2-qt. glass serving bowl with cake pieces. Prepare pudding with milk. Cool if necessary. Pour over cake. Chill. Beat cream and sugar until stiff; spread over cake and pudding. Chill at least 4 hours. Garnish with almonds and cherries. Yield: 8-10 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 294 calories, 16 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 84 mg cholesterol, 202 mg sodium, 34 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 4 g protein.
Reviews for Grandma's English Trifle
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC