Grandma's Divinity Recipe
Every Christmas my grandmother and I made divinity, just the two of us. I still make it every year. —Anne Clayborne, Walland, Tennessee
- 2 large egg whites
- 3 cups sugar
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1. Place egg whites in the bowl of a stand mixer; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, line three 15x10x1-in. pans with waxed paper.
- 2. In a large heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, water and corn syrup; bring to a boil, stirring constantly to dissolve sugar. Cook, without stirring, over medium heat until a candy thermometer reads 252° (hard-ball stage). Just before the temperature is reached, beat egg whites on medium speed until stiff peaks form.
- 3. Slowly add hot sugar mixture in a thin stream over egg whites, beating constantly and scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Add vanilla. Beat until candy holds its shape, about 5-6 minutes. (Do not overmix or candy will get stiff and crumbly.) Immediately fold in pecans.
- 4. Quickly drop by heaping teaspoonfuls onto prepared pans. Let stand at room temperature until dry to the touch. Store between waxed paper in an airtight container at room temperature. Yield: 1-1/2 pounds (60 pieces).
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC