Every Christmas my grandmother and I made divinity, just the two of us. I still make it every year. —Anne Clayborne, Walland, Tennessee
60 ServingsPrep: 5 min. Cook: 40 min. + standing
- 2 egg whites
- 3 cups sugar
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Place egg whites in the bowl of a stand mixer; let stand at room
- temperature for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, line three 15-in. x 10-in. x
- 1-in. pans with waxed paper.
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, water and corn syrup;
- bring to a boil, stirring constantly to dissolve sugar. Cook,
- without stirring, over medium heat until a candy thermometer reads
- 252° (hard-ball stage). Just before the temperature is reached,
- beat egg whites on medium speed until stiff peaks form.
- Slowly add hot sugar mixture in a thin stream over egg whites,
- beating constantly and scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Add
- vanilla. Beat until candy holds its shape, about 5-6 minutes. (Do
- not overmix or candy will get stiff and crumbly.) Immediately fold
- in pecans.
- Quickly drop by heaping teaspoonfuls onto prepared pans. Let stand at
- room temperature until dry to the touch. Store between waxed paper
- in an airtight container at room temperature. Yield: 1-1/2 pounds