Grandma's Divinity Recipe
- 2 large egg whites
- 3 cups sugar
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1. Place egg whites in the bowl of a stand mixer; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, line three 15x10x1-in. pans with waxed paper.
- 2. In a large heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, water and corn syrup; bring to a boil, stirring constantly to dissolve sugar. Cook, without stirring, over medium heat until a candy thermometer reads 252° (hard-ball stage). Just before the temperature is reached, beat egg whites on medium speed until stiff peaks form.
- 3. Slowly add hot sugar mixture in a thin stream over egg whites, beating constantly and scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Add vanilla. Beat until candy holds its shape, about 5-6 minutes. (Do not overmix or candy will get stiff and crumbly.) Immediately fold in pecans.
- 4. Quickly drop by heaping teaspoonfuls onto prepared pans. Let stand at room temperature until dry to the touch. Store between waxed paper in an airtight container at room temperature. Yield: 1-1/2 pounds (60 pieces).
Reviews for Grandma's Divinity
"Sounds fairly cmlose to my receipe. Divinity doesn't work well in extremely humid weather, I skip rainy days. I have alwats used the twice cook method. Half the syrup to firm ball then the other half to hard crack. Candy thermometers are a good idea for some I have always tested in cold water."
"This is not particularly my favorite kind of candy but I thought it was pretty good and the people that I made it for loved it. Unfortunatly, mine were a little flat but I think it was my fault. I will try it again next Christmas."