Grandma's Dill Pickles
Treasured family recipes like this one become like old friends. These crispy spears have a slightly salty, tart flavor with a good balance of dill, garlic and peppers. They make a great accompaniment for the shredded beef sandwiches.
-Betty Sitzman, Wray, Colorado
156 ServingsPrep: 50 min. Process: 15 min.
- 11 cups water
- 5 cups white vinegar
- 1 cup canning salt
- 12 pounds pickling cucumbers, quartered or halved lengthwise
- 9 dill sprigs or heads
- 18 garlic cloves
- 18 dried hot chilies
- In a stockpot, bring the water, vinegar and salt to a boil; boil for
- 10 minutes. Pack cucumbers into hot quart jars within 1/2 in. of
- top. Place one dill head, two garlic cloves and two peppers in each
- Carefully ladle hot mixture into jars, leaving 1/2-in. headspace.
- Remove air bubbles, wipe rims and adjust lids. Process for 15
- minutes in a boiling-water canner. Yield: 9 quarts.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 4 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 727 mg sodium, 1 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, trace protein.