Grandma's Date Bars
These nicely textured bars are delicious. It's a good recipe for today's diet awareness, because there's no shortening used.
My great-grandmother, who was born in 1868, made these bars, and the recipe has come down through the generations. Now my children are making them.
-Marilyn Reid, Cherry Creek, New York
16 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 3 eggs, beaten
- Confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. Transfer to a
- greased 8-in. square baking pan.
- Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near
- the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Dust with
- confectioners' sugar. Cut into squares. Yield: 16 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 169 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 40 mg cholesterol, 111 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.