Grandma's Christmas Brittle Recipe
- 3 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 jar (16 ounces) unsalted dry roasted peanuts
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Grease two baking sheets and keep warm in a 200° oven. In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, corn syrup and 1 cup water. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until a candy thermometer reaches 240° (soft-ball stage). Stir in butter, salt and peanuts. Continue heating, stirring constantly, until the mixture reaches 300°.
- Meanwhile, combine the baking soda, 1 teaspoon water and vanilla. Remove saucepan from the heat. Stir in baking soda mixture. Quickly pour half the mixture over each baking sheet. Spread with a buttered metal spatula to a 1/4-in. thickness. Cool. Break into pieces. Store in an airtight container. Yield: about 2-1/2 pounds.
Reviews for Grandma's Christmas Brittle
Sort By :
"Excellent. My husband loves it so much I have already had to make two more batches. Very creamy texture . I agree with tracybreland that it takes longer than 15 minutes and like her, I am a first timer at this. Definitely a keeper."
"This is wonderful!!! I have never made peanut brittle before nor used a candy thermometer. The cooking time was a lot longer than 15 minutes but the results were amazing, everyone in my family loves it!"
"A relative of ours gave us a HUGE can of peanuts and I was desperate to figure out how to use them up. This was the perfect recipe. I never made peanut brittle before, but this was very easy and tasted so much fresher than store bought brittle. Will make again should I receive another HUGE can of peanuts. :)"
"Made this twice everyone like it."
"This was my first time making peanut brittle - it turned out wonderful! Taste is excellent. I can't wait to give this brittle as gifts to family and friends."