Grandma's Christmas Bread Recipe
- 1-1/4 cups warm milk (70° to 80°)
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3 cups bread flour
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 3/4 cup golden raisins
- 3/4 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup dried currants
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon butter, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In bread machine pan, place the first seven ingredients in order suggested by manufacturer. Select basic bread setting. Choose crust color and loaf size if available. Bake according to bread machine directions (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water or flour if needed).
- Just before the final kneading (your bread machine may audibly signal this), add the raisins, currants and lemon peel. In a small bowl, combine glaze ingredients; drizzle over cooled bread. Yield: 1 loaf (about 2 pounds).
Reviews for Grandma's Christmas Bread
Sort By :
I admit that I was very upset that it was not my grammy's bread!! :( Why would you tell me that it is my grandma's bread when it is NOT?!?!?!?!? VERY ANGRY!! JK LOL It's a GREAT recipe!!!
I made this bread in my bread machine in the middle of summer. It was a great sweet treat without turning on the oven.