- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup hot water
- CHOCOLATE FUDGE FROSTING:
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 to 2 tablespoons half-and-half cream
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk and hot water, beating well after each addition.
- Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- For frosting, melt chocolate and butter in a saucepan. Add the sugar, water and cream of tartar. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cook and stir until a candy thermometer reads 240° (soft-ball stage). Remove from the heat. Cool completely, without stirring, about 1 hour. Add vanilla; beat until thickened. Add cream; beat until smooth. Frost cake. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Reviews for Grandma's Chocolate Cake
Sort By :
"My husband's brthday is Valentine's Day. He wanted a chocolate cake for his birthday. I made this and my whole family loved it. I thought the icing was runny, but after I put it in the fridge to cool quicker and used heavy cream instead of half and half and beat with my mixer, iced the cake and chilled until ready to eat, it turned out delicious. My husband loved the icing because it tasted like homemade fudge that I make him at Christmas."
"Very good, all turned out delicious, would make definately make again!"
"Though the frosting failed, the cake itself was very good. I ended up using a wonderful butter frosting from Paula Deen, my superhero of baking & go-to girl when I need a great recipe, which went very well with this cake recipe. I would give the cake 4 stars & the frosting that goes with this cake 1."
"I haven't tasted the cake yet so I can't review on that. This review is for the frosting. Extremely disappointed in it. After following instructions to the letter, the frosting turned out very gritty. Back to the drawing board, and off to search for a different frosting recipe."