- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3/4 to 1 cup milk
- Snipped fresh parsley, optional
- Place the chicken, water, bouillon, peppercorns and cloves in a
- stockpot. Cover and bring to a boil; skim foam. Reduce heat; cover
- and simmer 45-60 minutes or until chicken is tender. Strain broth;
- return to stock pot.
- Remove chicken and set aside until cool enough to handle. Remove meat
- from bones; discard bones and skin and cut chicken into chunks. Cool
- broth and skim off fat.
- Return chicken to stockpot with soups, vegetables and seasonings;
- bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour. Uncover;
- increase heat to a gentle boil. Discard bay leaf.
- For dumplings, combine dry ingredients in a medium bowl. Stir in egg,
- butter and enough milk to make a moist stiff batter. Drop by
- teaspoonfuls into soup. Cover and cook without lifting the lid for
- 18-20 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley if desired. Yield: 12 servings
- (3 quarts).
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 333 calories, 14 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 79 mg cholesterol, 1,447 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 22 g protein.
Wine: Full-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.