Grandma's Cabbage Rolls
Hearty and heartwarming, these traditional cabbage rolls are nothing short of delicious. Toasted rye bread and polenta make lovely accompaniments.
12 ServingsPrep: 45 min. Cook: 6 hours
- 1 large head cabbage, cored
- 1 egg
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup uncooked converted rice
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh dill or 1 teaspoon dill weed
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried savory or thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 2 cups sauerkraut, rinsed, well drained and chopped
- 2 cups canned crushed tomatoes
- 6 bacon strips, chopped
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) vegetable broth
- Cook cabbage in boiling water just until outer leaves pull away
- easily from head. Set aside 12 large leaves for rolls. Refrigerate
- remaining cabbage for another use. Cut out the thick vein from the
- bottom of each leaf, making a V-shaped cut.
- In a large bowl, combine the egg, onion, rice, dill, paprika, savory,
- salt and pepper. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Place 1/3
- cup meat mixture on a cabbage leaf; overlap cut ends of leaf. Fold
- in sides. Beginning from the cut end, roll up. Repeat with remaining
- cabbage leaves and filling.
- Combine the sauerkraut, tomatoes and bacon. Spoon half into a 6-qt.