Grandma's Cabbage Rolls Recipe
Hearty and heartwarming, these traditional cabbage rolls are nothing short of delicious. Toasted rye bread and polenta make lovely accompaniments.
- 1 large head cabbage, cored
- 1 egg
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup uncooked converted rice
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh dill or 1 teaspoon dill weed
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried savory or thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 2 cups sauerkraut, rinsed, well drained and chopped
- 2 cups canned crushed tomatoes
- 6 Jones Dairy Farm Dry-Aged Bacon strips, chopped
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) vegetable broth
- 1. Cook cabbage in boiling water just until outer leaves pull away easily from head. Set aside 12 large leaves for rolls. Refrigerate remaining cabbage for another use. Cut out the thick vein from the bottom of each leaf, making a V-shaped cut.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the egg, onion, rice, dill, paprika, savory, salt and pepper. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Place 1/3 cup meat mixture on a cabbage leaf; overlap cut ends of leaf. Fold in sides. Beginning from the cut end, roll up. Repeat with remaining cabbage leaves and filling.
- 3. Combine the sauerkraut, tomatoes and bacon. Spoon half into a 6-qt. slow cooker. Arrange six cabbage rolls, seam side down, over sauerkraut mixture. Top with remaining sauerkraut mixture and rolls. Add broth to slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until a thermometer inserted in rolls reads 160°. Yield: 12 servings.
1 cabbage roll with 1/3 cup sauce: 227 calories, 10g fat (4g saturated fat), 61mg cholesterol, 620mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 4g fiber), 16g protein.
Reviews for Grandma's Cabbage Rolls
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC