Grandma's Butterscotch Candy
The recipe for this wonderfully buttery candy was handed down from my grandma. My brothers, sisters and I love it now as much as we did when we were little...and so do our families. It's become a cherished tradition.
24 ServingsPrep: 5 min. Cook: 30 min. + cooling
- 2 cups sugar
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- Butter a 13-in. x 9-in. pan; set aside. In a heavy saucepan, combine
- the sugar, water and cream of tartar. Bring to a boil, without
- stirring, over medium heat until a candy thermometer reads 300°
- (hard-crack stage). Syrup will turn a golden color.
- Remove from the heat; stir in butter and vanilla. Return to heat.
- Cook and stir until thermometer returns to 300°. Pour into
- prepared pan. Cool. Break into pieces. Yield: about 3/4 pound.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1/2 ounce) equals 73 calories, 1 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 3 mg cholesterol, 10 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, trace protein.