Grandma's Breakfast Fruit Recipe
This versatile recipe is similar to the "Sweet Soup" that is served at our family's traditional Scandinavian holiday suppers. I've found this fruit mixture to be delicious for breakfast spooned over dry cereal. It is equally good served as a dessert with whipped cream.
- 3 large tart apples, peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1/2 cup pitted dried plums
- 3/4 cup raisins
- 1 medium orange, peeled and sectioned
- 3 cups plus 3 tablespoons water, divided
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1. In a saucepan, combine apples, prunes, raisins, orange and 3 cups water. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes.
- 2. Stir in sugar and cinnamon. Combine cornstarch and remaining water; stir into saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cook for 2 minutes. Chill. Yield: 6-8 servings.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC