- 3 large tart apples, peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1/2 cup pitted dried plums
- 3/4 cup raisins
- 1 medium orange, peeled and sectioned
- 3 cups plus 3 tablespoons water, divided
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- In a saucepan, combine apples, prunes, raisins, orange and 3 cups water. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes.
- Stir in sugar and cinnamon. Combine cornstarch and remaining water; stir into saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cook for 2 minutes. Chill. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews for Grandma's Breakfast Fruit
"What a fun recipe to make! This dish reminds me of the compote that my Polish grandmother makes; definitely a European dish. I substituted cranberries and a golden berry blend for the raisins, since that is what I had available. My mother did not like the dish quite so sweet, since her mother never adds sugar, but I though it was just fine, as did my siblings."