Grandma's Berry Tart Recipe
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 5 to 6 tablespoons cold water
- 1 cup each fresh blueberries, raspberries, blackberries and sliced strawberries
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- Additional sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
- 1. In a small bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in butter and shortening until crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough into a 13-in. circle. Transfer to a 9-in. deep-dish pie plate.
- 2. Place the berries in a large bowl. Combine the sugar, cornstarch, lemon peel, vanilla, ginger and allspice; add to berries and toss gently to coat. Pour into crust. Fold edges of pastry over filling. Brush folded pastry with milk; sprinkle with sugar.
- 3. For topping, combine the sugar and flour in a small bowl; cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over filling.
- 4. Bake at 400° for 50-55 minutes or until pastry is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 slice: 328 calories, 15g fat (7g saturated fat), 23mg cholesterol, 162mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 4g fiber), 3g protein.
Reviews for Grandma's Berry Tart
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.