Grandma's Beef Rouladen Recipe
- 1 pound thin beef top round steak, cut into four pieces
- Coarse-ground prepared mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 medium dill pickle, quartered lengthwise
- 3 carrots, cut into sticks, divided
- 1 small onion, cut into wedges
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- Cooked noodles
- 1. Spread steak pieces with mustard. Sprinkle with thyme, salt and pepper. Layer the steak pieces with a quarter each of pickle slices, carrot sticks and a wedge of onion. Roll up and secure with a toothpick. Coat each roll with flour.
- 2. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high. Brown beef on all sides. Add the water, bouillon, ketchup and remaining carrots. Cover and simmer 1 hour or until meat is tender. Thicken gravy if desired.
- 3. Serve with noodles. Yield: 4 servings.
1 each: 250 calories, 10g fat (0 saturated fat), 70mg cholesterol, 1012mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 26g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Reviews for Grandma's Beef Rouladen
"Very authentic German dish, tastes like what we had in Germany!"
"this dish made a perfect date night meal."