Grandma's Beef Rouladen Recipe
- 1 pound thin beef top round steak, cut into four pieces
- Coarse-ground prepared mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 medium dill pickle, quartered lengthwise
- 3 carrots, cut into sticks, divided
- 1 small onion, cut into wedges
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- Cooked noodles
- 1. Spread steak pieces with mustard. Sprinkle with thyme, salt and pepper. Layer the steak pieces with a quarter each of pickle slices, carrot sticks and a wedge of onion. Roll up and secure with a toothpick. Coat each roll with flour.
- 2. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high. Brown beef on all sides. Add the water, bouillon, ketchup and remaining carrots. Cover and simmer 1 hour or until meat is tender. Thicken gravy if desired.
- 3. Serve with noodles. Yield: 4 servings.
Diabetic Exchanges: One serving (without added salt) equals 3 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat; also, 250 calories, 1012 mg sodium, 70 mg cholesterol, 12 gm carbohydrate, 26 gm protein, 10 gm fat.
Reviews for Grandma's Beef Rouladen
"Very authentic German dish, tastes like what we had in Germany!"
"this dish made a perfect date night meal."