Grandma's Beef Rouladen Recipe
My family came to America from Germany in the late 1950's and brought with them many wonderful recipes like this one. This particular dish reminds me of my grandmother's kitchen and waiting for her delicious dinners.
- 1 pound thin beef top round steak, cut into four pieces
- Coarse-ground prepared mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 medium dill pickle, quartered lengthwise
- 3 carrots, cut into sticks, divided
- 1 small onion, cut into wedges
- 2 tablespoons King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- Cooked noodles
- Spread steak pieces with mustard. Sprinkle with thyme, salt and pepper. Layer the steak pieces with a quarter each of pickle slices, carrot sticks and a wedge of onion. Roll up and secure with a toothpick. Coat each roll with flour.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high. Brown beef on all sides. Add the water, bouillon, ketchup and remaining carrots. Cover and simmer 1 hour or until meat is tender. Thicken gravy if desired.
- Serve with noodles. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Beef Rouladen in Reminisce September/October 1991, p35
Reviews for Grandma's Beef Rouladen(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review