- 1 pound thin beef top round steak, cut into four pieces
- Coarse-ground prepared mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 medium dill pickle, quartered lengthwise
- 3 carrots, cut into sticks, divided
- 1 small onion, cut into wedges
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- Cooked noodles
- Spread steak pieces with mustard. Sprinkle with thyme, salt and pepper. Layer the steak pieces with a quarter each of pickle slices, carrot sticks and a wedge of onion. Roll up and secure with a toothpick. Coat each roll with flour.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high. Brown beef on all sides. Add the water, bouillon, ketchup and remaining carrots. Cover and simmer 1 hour or until meat is tender. Thicken gravy if desired.
- Serve with noodles. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Beef Rouladen in Reminisce September/October 1991, p35
Reviews for Grandma's Beef Rouladen
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Nov. 22, 2014
"this dish made a perfect date night meal."