Grandma's Baked Rice Custard
While growing up in Italy in the 1900s, my mother lived a very basic life. But when Easter Sunday arrived, my grandmother would make this dessert as a special treat.
20-22 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 14 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 4 cups whole milk
- 1 carton (15 ounces) ricotta cheese
- 1-1/2 cups cooked rice
- 1 can (8 ounces) crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Ground cinnamon
- In a large bowl, combine eggs and sugar. Stir in the milk, ricotta
- cheese, rise, pineapple, evaporated milk and vanilla. Pour into a
- greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish and a greased 11-in. x 7-in.
- baking dish. Sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a knife
- inserted near the center comes out clean. Serve warm or cold.
- Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 20-22 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 193 calories, 7 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 153 mg cholesterol, 96 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 9 g protein.