Grandma's Applesauce Cake Recipe
- 3/4 cup raisins
- 1 cup hot water
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 egg
- 2-1/2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon each ground cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg
- 1-1/2 cups applesauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- Place raisins and hot water in a small bowl; set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg. Combine the flour, baking soda, salt and spices; add to creamed mixture alternately with applesauce and water. Drain raisins; fold into batter with the walnuts.
- Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 300° for 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Place pan on a wire rack. Dust with confectioners' sugar if desired. Serve warm or cold. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Reviews for Grandma's Applesauce Cake(6)
Sort By :
The taste of very good, but I had trouble with the baking time/temperature...is it really 300 for 40 minutes? I baked it 55 minutes and it was still not really done.
I loved this recipe. I substituted a cup of diced apples for the nuts. Super moist and delicious!
This cake is delicious. I cut the recipe in half to make an 8" square cake, and it turned out great. I used half white sugar and half brown sugar. I will definitely make this again!
My husband had requested Applesauce Cake like his mom used to make. I found this recipe and followed it except for the raisins, nuts and confectioner's sugar as he didn't like these. Instead, he prefers it topped with sweetened applesauce. I thought this was unusual, but was willing to try. It was great! We all liked it, including my 2 young children. They all said this is a keeper!
Some changes: 1c white sugar, 1c brown sugar. added 1t vanilla. very tasty, moist. strong spice flavor. may try halving the spices next time. a definite keeper.