Grandma's Apples and Rice
LIKE MOST women of her generation, my husband's grandmother was a "no-measure cook". This recipe of hers suffered as it was handed down, so I made an effort to work out the kinks.
Finally, my husband pronounced the results as good as he remembered, and we declared it the "official" recipe.
-Joan Kasura, Silver Spring, Maryland
6-8 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 1-1/4 cups uncooked brown rice
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2-1/2 cups chunky applesauce
- 1 cup diced peeled apples
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1-3/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
- Dash salt
- Cook rice according to package directions. Stir 2 tablespoons butter
- into hot rice. Add applesauce, apples, brown sugar, 1-1/2 teaspoons
- cinnamon and salt. Spoon into a greased deep 2-qt. baking dish. Dot
- with remaining butter; sprinkle with remaining cinnamon. Bake,
- uncovered, at 350° for 35 minutes or until heated through. Serve
- warm or cold. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 253 calories, 7 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 15 mg cholesterol, 83 mg sodium, 47 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 3 g protein.