Grandma's Apples and Rice Recipe
LIKE MOST women of her generation, my husband's grandmother was a "no-measure cook". This recipe of hers suffered as it was handed down, so I made an effort to work out the kinks. Finally, my husband pronounced the results as good as he remembered, and we declared it the "official" recipe. -Joan Kasura, Silver Spring, Maryland
- 1-1/4 cups uncooked brown rice
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2-1/2 cups chunky applesauce
- 1 cup diced peeled apples
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1-3/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
- Dash salt
- 1. Cook rice according to package directions. Stir 2 tablespoons butter into hot rice. Add applesauce, apples, brown sugar, 1-1/2 teaspoons cinnamon and salt. Spoon into a greased deep 2-qt. baking dish. Dot with remaining butter; sprinkle with remaining cinnamon. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35 minutes or until heated through. Serve warm or cold. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 253 calories, 7 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 15 mg cholesterol, 83 mg sodium, 47 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 3 g protein.
Reviews for Grandma's Apples and Rice
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC