Grandma's Apples and Rice Recipe
LIKE MOST women of her generation, my husband's grandmother was a "no-measure cook". This recipe of hers suffered as it was handed down, so I made an effort to work out the kinks. Finally, my husband pronounced the results as good as he remembered, and we declared it the "official" recipe. -Joan Kasura, Silver Spring, Maryland
- 1-1/4 cups uncooked brown rice
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2-1/2 cups chunky applesauce
- 1 cup diced peeled apples
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1-3/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
- Dash salt
- Cook rice according to package directions. Stir 2 tablespoons butter into hot rice. Add applesauce, apples, brown sugar, 1-1/2 teaspoons cinnamon and salt. Spoon into a greased deep 2-qt. baking dish. Dot with remaining butter; sprinkle with remaining cinnamon. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35 minutes or until heated through. Serve warm or cold. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Grandma's Apples and Rice in Reminisce September/October 1996, p49
Reviews for Grandma's Apples and Rice(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review