- Pastry for a double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 6 to 7 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples (about 2-1/2 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Dash ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2% milk
- Additional sugar
- Line a 9-in. pie plate with bottom pastry; trim pastry even with edge of plate. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, toss apples with lemon juice. Combine the sugar, flour, cinnamon and nutmeg. Arrange half of the apples in pastry shell; sprinkle with half of the sugar mixture. Repeat layers. Dot with butter.
- Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie; place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in pastry. Brush with milk and sprinkle with additional sugar.
- Cover edges loosely with foil. Bake at 425° for 20 minutes. Remove foil; bake 30-35 minutes longer or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Serve warm if desired or cool on a wire rack. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews for Grandma's Apple Pie
"Wonderful apple pie! So easy, and tasty, and gorgeous to look at! Will definitely be my new go to apple pie recipe!"
"This is a very close recipe my mom had that I misplaced her recipe in a recent move. It brings back memories. It is a very delicious pie recipe. Will make again!"
"Very deish. We are diabetics, so I made this with Whey Low for diabetics. Turned out great. Made this along with the Creamy chicken Rice Soup recipe found on Taste of Home. Will make both again."
"Delicious! I added fresh grated ginger and used fresh grated nutmeg with a dash of jamacian all spice. Loved it."