- Pastry for a double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 6 to 7 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples (about 2-1/2 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Dash ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2% milk
- Additional sugar
- Line a 9-in. pie plate with bottom pastry; trim pastry even with edge of plate. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, toss apples with lemon juice. Combine the sugar, flour, cinnamon and nutmeg. Arrange half of the apples in pastry shell; sprinkle with half of the sugar mixture. Repeat layers. Dot with butter.
- Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie; place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in pastry. Brush with milk and sprinkle with additional sugar.
- Cover edges loosely with foil. Bake at 425° for 20 minutes. Remove foil; bake 30-35 minutes longer or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Serve warm if desired or cool on a wire rack. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews for Grandma's Apple Pie(2)
Sort By :
Very deish. We are diabetics, so I made this with Whey Low for diabetics. Turned out great. Made this along with the Creamy Chicken Rice Soup recipe found on Taste of Home. Will make both again.
Delicious! I added fresh grated ginger and used fresh grated nutmeg with a dash of jamacian all spice. Loved it.
More Recipe Collections
- Apple Desserts >
- Apple Pie >
- Apple Pie Recipes >
- Apple Pie Recipes with Fresh Apples >
- Apple Recipes >
- Comfort Food Desserts >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Desserts >
- Father's Day Recipes >
- Fruit Pie Recipes >