Grandma's Apple Dumplings Recipe
The aroma of these melt-in-your-mouth dumplings reminds me of my grandma's old-fashioned kitchen. All of her cooking and baking was wonderful!
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1/4 cup red cinnamon candies
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 2/3 cup cold milk
- 6 small baking apples, peeled and cored
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 egg white, beaten
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Half-and-half cream, optional
- 1. Combine all sauce ingredients in a medium saucepan. Bring to a full rolling boil, stirring occasionally. Set aside.
- 2. For dumplings, combine flour, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Using a fork or pastry blender, cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle in milk, mixing lightly with a fork until a soft dough forms. Shape into a ball.
- 3. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to an 18-in. x 12-in. rectangle. Cut into six squares. Place an apple in the center of each square; dot with butter. Bring corners of pastry up to top of apple; press edges to seal.
- 4. Place in an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Pour sauce into pan around dumplings. Brush dumplings with egg white and sprinkle with sugar.
- 5. Bake at 375° for 50 minutes or until light golden brown and apples are tender. Serve warm with cream if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
1 each: 716 calories, 29g fat (10g saturated fat), 19mg cholesterol, 610mg sodium, 109g carbohydrate (72g sugars, 3g fiber), 6g protein.
Reviews for Grandma's Apple Dumplings
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC