- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1/4 cup red cinnamon candies
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 2/3 cup cold milk
- 6 small baking apples, peeled and cored
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 egg white, beaten
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Half-and-half cream, optional
- Combine all sauce ingredients in a medium saucepan. Bring to a full rolling boil, stirring occasionally. Set aside.
- For dumplings, combine flour, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Using a fork or pastry blender, cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle in milk, mixing lightly with a fork until a soft dough forms. Shape into a ball.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to an 18-in. x 12-in. rectangle. Cut into six squares. Place an apple in the center of each square; dot with butter. Bring corners of pastry up to top of apple; press edges to seal.
- Place in an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Pour sauce into pan around dumplings. Brush dumplings with egg white and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake at 375° for 50 minutes or until light golden brown and apples are tender. Serve warm with cream if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Grandma's Apple Dumplings in Grandma's Great Desserts Cookbook 1992, p42
Reviews for Grandma's Apple Dumplings
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review