Grandma's Apple Carrot Cake Recipe
Rich, moist and cinnamony, this old-fashioned cake recipe was handed down from our beloved Grandma Kelly. It's a perfect way to use up a few carrots and an apple...and it's ideal for smaller families, since it yields fewer servings.
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups finely shredded carrots
- 1 cup shredded peeled apple
- CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1. In a large bowl, beat the eggs, oil and sugars until smooth. Combine the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt; gradually add to egg mixture just until combined. Stir in carrots and apple.
- 2. Spoon into a greased 9-in. square baking pan. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- 3. In a small bowl, combine the frosting ingredients; beat until smooth. Spread over cake. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 9 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 392 calories, 18 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 61 mg cholesterol, 190 mg sodium, 56 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC