Grandma's Apple Carrot Cake Recipe
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups finely shredded carrots
- 1 cup shredded peeled apple
- CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1. In a large bowl, beat the eggs, oil and sugars until smooth. Combine the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt; gradually add to egg mixture just until combined. Stir in carrots and apple.
- 2. Spoon into a greased 9-in. square baking pan. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- 3. In a small bowl, combine the frosting ingredients; beat until smooth. Spread over cake. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 9 servings.
1 piece: 392 calories, 18g fat (5g saturated fat), 61mg cholesterol, 190mg sodium, 56g carbohydrate (42g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Reviews for Grandma's Apple Carrot Cake
"This was amazing. The sweetness of the apple added so much to the traditional carrot cake. I also loved that it made a small cake so we didn't have it around for days. In the future, I might add walnuts to the batter for a bit of crunch to change things up. I would also cut back on the confectioner's sugar in the frosting. It was a little sweet for me. This recipe is a winner overall!"
"What an AWESOME cake! I've made many different Apple Carrot cakes and this is by far the BEST. It was gone in a flash! Thank you for such a wonderful recipe!"
"i made this cake exactly like it said except i did 3 apples and some carrots enough to make 4 cups instead of 5 (i doubled the recipe). i put it in a 13.5" X 2" (3 Qt) glass baking pan @ 350 degrees for 45 minutes. it turned out perfect, moist and scrumptious. next time i will put the rite amount of carrots and apples if i have it but it was awesome!!! my 2 boys and their daddy went crazy over it!!!"
"I decided to experiment with this recipe and what I did was use:3/4 cup finely diced fresh beets, peeled & 3/4 cup shredded carrots (peeled) & 1 cup shredded apple. I also added 1 cup of raisins, 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips and 1/8 cup flour so the raisins and chips wouldn't sink to bottom of cake. I baked the cake in two 8-1/2x4-1/2" greased and floured loaf pans. I baked the loaves at 350 0 F. for 50 minutes, then tested loaves for doneness. I cut one of the loaves and it was really pretty-the flecks of beet added color to the loaves! I renamed the recipe:Red Confetti Loaf! This way I can sneak the beets into the recipe and that way vegetables are incorporated into this cake in a subtle way!"
"Very good. Moist and flavorful. I added 1/2 cup pecans. Used pre-made cream cheese icing."