Grandma Russell's Bread Recipe
I remember as a child always smelling fresh homemade bread and rolls whenever I walked into Grandma's house. The warm slices were delicious and melted in my mouth! —Janet Polito, Nampa, Idaho
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/3 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 cup mashed potatoes
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 5 to 6 cups all-purpose flour
- CINNAMON FILLING
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1. In a large bowl, combine yeast, warm water and 1 teaspoon sugar. In a saucepan, heat milk, butter, salt and remaining sugar until butter is melted. Remove from heat; stir in potatoes until smooth. Cool to lukewarm; add eggs and mix well.
- 2. To yeast mixture, add potato mixture and 5 cups flour. Stir in enough remaining flour to make a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours.
- 3. Punch down and divide in half. Shape two loaves and place in greased 8x4-in. loaf pans. Roll each half into a 16x8-in. rectangle. Brush with melted butter; combine sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle over butter. Starting at the narrow end, roll up into a loaf, sealing the edges and ends. Place in greased 8x4-in. loaf pans. Bake loaves as 375° for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Cover with foil if they brown too quickly. Remove from pans to wire racks; serve warm.
- 4. For cinnamon rolls: Roll each half into an 18x12-in. rectangle. Brush with melted butter; sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar. Starting at the narrow end, roll up and seal edges and ends. Cut each into twelve 1-1/2 in. pieces. Place in greased 9-in. round baking pans. Cover and let rise until doubled. Bake rolls at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Cover with foil if they brown too quickly. Remove from pans to wire racks; serve warm. Yield: 2 loaves or 2 dozen rolls.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 208 calories, 7 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 35 mg cholesterol, 387 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC