Grandma Pruit's Vinegar Pie Recipe
This historic pie has been in our family for many generations and is always at all of the family get-togethers.—Suzette Pruit, Houston, Texas
- Dough for two-crust pie, unbaked
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 quart hot water
- 2/3 cup white vinegar
- 1. Divide dough into two parts, roughly one-third and two-third portions. Roll out smaller portion and cut in strips. Cover bottom of a deep oven-proof casserole with half the strips; sprinkle with half the sugar, flour and nutmeg. Dot with half the butter. Repeat layers.
- 2. Roll out remaining crust; place over all, pressing against the sides for the baking dish. Make a slit in top crust. Combine vinegar and water in a pan; heat and pour slowly through slit in top crust. Bake at 450° for 1 hour. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 545 calories, 25 g fat (13 g saturated fat), 41 mg cholesterol, 316 mg sodium, 78 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 2 g protein.
Reviews for Grandma Pruit's Vinegar Pie
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC