For generations, our family has handed down this cake recipe starring cranberries. Simple and unusual, it remains a treasured family heirloom. —Lisa Potter, Camp Douglas, Wisconsin
Featured In: 24 Christmas Puddings for the Holiday Season
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Dash salt
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries, thawed
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease a 13x9-in. baking pan.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until crumbly. Beat in egg. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt; add to butter mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition. If desired, coarsely chop cranberries. Fold cranberries into batter.
- Transfer to prepared pan. Bake 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- In a large saucepan, combine brown sugar, water, sugar and butter; bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly to dissolve sugar. Cook and stir until slightly thickened; stir in vanilla. Serve warm with cake. Yield: 15 servings (2 cups sauce).
Originally published as Grandma Pietz's Cranberry Cake Pudding in Taste of Home September/October 2015, p53
Reviews for Grandma Pietz's Cranberry Cake Pudding
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 26, 2016
"Very good, and the sauce is wonderful"