My Grandma Nardi’s bread with dyed Easter eggs represents family and tradition. I fondly remember how she taught me the recipe when I was a little girl. —Pat Merkovich, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
- 3 large eggs
- Assorted food coloring
- 2/3 cup warm whole milk (70° to 80°)
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3 cups bread flour
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) quick-rise yeast
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- EGG WASH:
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds or poppy seeds
- Place three eggs in a single layer in a small saucepan; add enough cold water to cover by 1 in. Cover and quickly bring to a boil. Remove from heat. Let stand 15 minutes.
- Rinse eggs in cold water and place in ice water until completely cooled. Drain; dye hard-cooked eggs with food coloring, following package directions. Let stand until completely dry.
- In bread machine pan, place the first seven bread ingredients in order suggested by manufacturer. Select dough setting. Check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1-2 tablespoons additional milk or flour if needed.
- When cycle is completed, turn dough onto a lightly floured surface. Punch down dough; divide into thirds. Roll each into a 15-in. rope. Place ropes on a greased baking sheet and braid. Shape into a ring. Pinch ends to seal. Lightly coat dyed eggs with oil; arrange on braid, tucking them carefully between ropes. For egg wash, whisk egg with water. Brush over dough; sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Cover with a kitchen towel; let rise in a warm place until almost doubled, about 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 350°.
- Bake 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices).
Originally published as Grandma Nardi's Italian Easter Bread in Taste of Home February/March 2016, p42
Reviews for Grandma Nardi's Italian Easter Bread
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review