Grandma Buelah's Apple Dumplings
Buelah and Harry Hughson settled in Sioux County, Nebraska in the early 1900's. Grandma had a reputation for being a talented musician, avid card player and a marvelous cook! I always make a double batch of her dumplings for my husband and our four children.
6 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 45 min.
- Pastry for double-crust pie
- 6 small tart apples, peeled and cored
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons half-and-half cream
- 3/4 cup maple or maple-flavored syrup, warmed
- On a floured surface, roll out pastry to an 18-in. x 12-in.
- rectangle. Cut into six 6-in. squares. Place an apple on each
- square. Combine sugar and cream and spoon into apple center. Moisten
- edges of pastry; fold up the corners to center and pinch to seal.
- Place on an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 450° for
- 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350° bake 30 minutes longer or until
- golden brown, basting twice with syrup. Serve warm. Yield: 6
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 537 calories, 20 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 16 mg cholesterol, 273 mg sodium, 89 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein.