Grandma Brubaker's Orange Cookies Recipe
At least two generations of my family have enjoyed the recipe for these light, delicate, orange-flavored cookies. —Sheri DeBolt, Huntington, Indiana
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- Pinch salt
- Juice and peel of 2 medium navel oranges
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 1. In a bowl, cream shortening and sugar. Beat in egg yolks and buttermilk. Sift together flour, baking powder, soda and salt; add alternately with orange juice and peel to creamed mixture. Add egg whites and beat until smooth.
- 2. Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto greased cookie sheets. Bake at 325° for 10 minutes.
- 3. For icing, combine all ingredients and beat until smooth. Frost cookies when cool. Yield: about 6 dozen.
1 serving (2 each) equals 195 calories, 6 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 14 mg cholesterol, 107 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC