Grandma Brubaker's Orange Cookies Recipe
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- Pinch salt
- Juice and grated peel of 2 medium navel oranges
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 1. In a bowl, cream shortening and sugar. Beat in egg yolks and buttermilk. Sift together flour, baking powder, soda and salt; add alternately with orange juice and peel to creamed mixture. Add egg whites and beat until smooth.
- 2. Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto greased cookie sheets. Bake at 325° for 10 minutes.
- 3. For icing, combine all ingredients and beat until smooth. Frost cookies when cool. Yield: about 6 dozen.
1 cookie: 97 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 6mg cholesterol, 58mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Reviews for Grandma Brubaker's Orange Cookies
"Great tasting, but is 325* correct temp?Baked according time then added two minutes, still limp and soft. Will try again at 375* as most cookies are baked."
"I omitted the orange rind because we like a milder flavor and it was very good!"
"Family absolutely loved these. The orange flavor is very similar to our family favorite pizzelle recipe, which is made with lemon and orange flavors rather than anise. I think my icing turned out a bit too runny in retrospect. Next time I may adjust accordingly."
"Omg to die for so soft an so much flavor I will be making these for many years !!!!"
"These rivaled old family recipes!"
"Loved them. Easy to prepare. I added chopped walnuts to one batch & dried cranberries to another batch. Both were equally good. Will make them again."
"Yummy!! Easy to make and the hubby loved them!!!"