- 1 cup shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- Pinch salt
- Juice and peel of 2 medium navel oranges
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- In a bowl, cream shortening and sugar. Beat in egg yolks and buttermilk. Sift together flour, baking powder, soda and salt; add alternately with orange juice and peel to creamed mixture. Add egg whites and beat until smooth.
- Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto greased cookie sheets. Bake at 325° for 10 minutes.
- For icing, combine all ingredients and beat until smooth. Frost cookies when cool. Yield: about 6 dozen.
Reviews for Grandma Brubaker's Orange Cookies
"I omitted the orange rind because we like a milder flavor and it was very good!"
"Family absolutely loved these. The orange flavor is very similar to our family favorite pizzelle recipe, which is made with lemon and orange flavors rather than anise. I think my icing turned out a bit too runny in retrospect. Next time I may adjust accordingly."
"Omg to die for so soft an so much flavor I will be making these for many years !!!!"
"These rivaled old family recipes!"
"My mom and grandmother made these for years. It makes so many and was a treasured cookie treat delivered to loved ones near and far every Christmas..."