Gran's Apple Cake Recipe
- 1-2/3 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups chopped peeled tart apples
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 4 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Coat a 13x9-in. baking pan with cooking spray.
- 2. In a large bowl, beat sugar, eggs, applesauce, oil and vanilla until well blended. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; gradually beat into sugar mixture. Fold in apples and pecans.
- 3. Transfer to prepared pan. Bake 35-40 minutes or until top is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
- 4. In a small bowl, beat cream cheese, butter and vanilla until smooth. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar (mixture will be soft). Spread over cake. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 18 servings.
1 piece: 241 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 29mg cholesterol, 284mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (30g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein
Reviews for Gran's Apple Cake
"Super moist and yummy! I added raisins to mine-will definitely make this again:)"
"This recipe was a good way to use up some of my dad's apples from his apple tree. My boys LOVED it & one of them said it was the cinnamon in it that made it taste so good!"
"A good recipe...tastes somewhat like apple cobbler. I kinda overbaked mine, but it was still moist. I didn't add frosting to the cake, but served it with whipped cream."
"Delicious. I shredded the apples and left out the nuts to make it more kid friendly. I haven't frosted it yet, but we've enjoyed pieces without the frosting. Very moist. Yum."
"This is my go to recipe for apple cake. Everyone on special diets can eat this"
"This cake is always a hit in any gathering that I have been. The whole family really love it, it's so far our favorite."