Gran's Apple Cake Recipe
From Turlock, California, Lauris Conrad reports, "Our grandmother occasionally brought over this wonderful cake warm from the oven. Its spicy apple flavor combined with the sweet cream cheese frosting was always welcome. Even though I've lightened it up, it's still a family favorite."
- 1-2/3 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups chopped peeled tart apples
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 4 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1. In a bowl, combine the sugar, eggs, applesauce, oil and vanilla. Beat for 2 minutes on medium speed. Combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; add to applesauce mixture and beat until combined. Fold in apples and pecans.
- 2. Transfer to a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until top is golden brown and a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- 3. For frosting, combine cream cheese, butter and vanilla in a small bowl until smooth. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar (mixture will be soft). Spread over cooled cake. Yield: 18 servings.
Nutritional Analysis: 1 piece equals 241 calories, 8 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 32 mg cholesterol, 283 mg sodium, 42 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC