Gran's Apple Cake Recipe
- 1-2/3 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups chopped peeled tart apples
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 4 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Coat a 13x9-in. baking pan with cooking spray.
- 2. In a large bowl, beat sugar, eggs, applesauce, oil and vanilla until well blended. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; gradually beat into sugar mixture. Fold in apples and pecans.
- 3. Transfer to prepared pan. Bake 35-40 minutes or until top is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
- 4. In a small bowl, beat cream cheese, butter and vanilla until smooth. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar (mixture will be soft). Spread over cake. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 18 servings.
1 piece: 241 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 29mg cholesterol, 284mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (30g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Reviews for Gran's Apple Cake
"Very nice and moist, will make again"
"I have this recipe in my TOH cookbook. I LOVE THIS RECIPE. It is seriously delicious and somewhat healthy if you eat the portion size and not too much more. I like to freeze portions so don't eat too much at once, and it stays fresh that way."
"want to make this but only have cinnamon flavored applesauce will that work?"
"Amazingly moist cake! I used Honeycrisp apples and chopped them very fine. Added more cinnamon, some ground cloves and ground ginger as we like apple stuff nice and spicy. Husband made me take it to work so he wouldn't eat the whole thing!"
"Very Delicious. It's a keeper! I will make this cake many times more!"
"I made this yesterday and there's not much left. Did find out that it was better to chop the apples with smaller chunks to get it moister. This was a hit, for sure!"
"This is a very delicious apple cake! Our favorite! I used Chehalis apples from our tree and it turned out moist and full of apple flavor. The cream cheese frosting is yummy as well. Thanks for sharing."
"Very moist and flavorful. I ran out of apples so added 2 cups of chopped pears to my 4 cups of chopped apples. Still excellent and can't even tell that pears were used. My frosting did not turn out like the picture looks tho. But was still good. I might double the frosting recipe next time, it barely covered the cake."
"OMG this cake is as moist as it is flavorful...the cream cheese icing tops it off with alittle sweetness."
"My husband has been advised to avoid processed sugar. I sustituted two pitted dates (blended with the liquids) and added a 1/4 cup Stevia. I omitted the frosting. The cake turned out well. Thanks for sharing this recipe."
"Super moist and yummy! I added raisins to mine-will definitely make this again:)"
"This recipe was a good way to use up some of my dad's apples from his apple tree. My boys LOVED it & one of them said it was the cinnamon in it that made it taste so good!"
"A good recipe...tastes somewhat like apple cobbler. I kinda overbaked mine, but it was still moist. I didn't add frosting to the cake, but served it with whipped cream."
"Delicious. I shredded the apples and left out the nuts to make it more kid friendly. I haven't frosted it yet, but we've enjoyed pieces without the frosting. Very moist. Yum."
"This is my go to recipe for apple cake. Everyone on special diets can eat this"
"This cake is always a hit in any gathering that I have been. The whole family really love it, it's so far our favorite."