Graham Rolls Recipe
In the course of catching up with a friend I hadn't seen for well over 10 years, she requested this recipe that she had remembered me making. That's a true testament to the appeal of these rolls. Graham crackers are an unusual ingredient that add terrific taste and texture.
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 egg
- 3 cups graham cracker crumbs, divided
- 2 cups King Arthur Premium 100% Whole Wheat Flour
- 3 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- In a large bowl, combine the shortening, sugar and salt. Stir in boiling water. Cool to 110°-115°. Dissolve yeast in warm water. Add yeast mixture, egg, 1 cup cracker crumbs and whole wheat flour to shortening mixture; mix well. Stir in enough all-purpose flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into 48 pieces. Shape each into a ball. Dip into melted butter, then roll in remaining cracker crumbs. Place in greased muffin cups. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 4 dozen.
Originally published as Graham Rolls in Best of Country Breads 2000, p43
Reviews for Graham Rolls(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review