Gourmet Potatoes au Gratin Recipe
Here’s a different take on a classic potato dish. Bursting with sun-kissed tomato flavor, it’s special enough for entertaining and goes together easily.—Katherine Barrett, Bellevue, Washington
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes (not packed in oil), chopped
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2-1/4 cups fat-free milk
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 pounds potatoes (about 9 medium), peeled and thinly sliced
- 1. Place tomatoes in a small bowl. Cover with boiling water; let stand for 5 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- 2. In a large skillet over medium heat, cook onion in butter until tender. Add the oregano, salt, pepper and reserved tomatoes; cook 2 minutes longer. Sprinkle with flour; stir until blended. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in cheese.
- 3. Place potatoes in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish; top with sauce. Cover and bake at 350° for 1 hour. Uncover; bake 10-15 minutes longer or until potatoes are tender. Yield: 12 servings (2/3 cup each).
2/3 cup equals 156 calories, 5 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 14 mg cholesterol, 290 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 6 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC