Gourmet Potato Soup with Croutons
During the long Wisconsin winters, my family "lives on" homemade soups because they are economical and freeze well. And, as with most soups, this one is even better the next day.
6 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 3 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon minced chives
- 8 cups cubed day-old French bread (1-1/2-inch pieces)
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a Dutch oven, cook the potatoes, celery, onion and bouillon in
- water until vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes. Stir in milk.
- In a small bowl, combine sour cream and flour. Blend in 1/2 cup hot