Gourmet Potato Soup with Croutons Recipe
During the long Wisconsin winters, my family "lives on" homemade soups because they are economical and freeze well. And, as with most soups, this one is even better the next day.
- 3 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1 tablespoon King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 tablespoon minced chives
- 8 cups cubed day-old French bread (1-1/2-inch pieces)
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a Dutch oven, cook the potatoes, celery, onion and bouillon in water until vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes. Stir in milk.
- In a small bowl, combine sour cream and flour. Blend in 1/2 cup hot soup; stir into vegetable mixture. Add chives. Cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened.
- Meanwhile, for croutons, deep-fry bread cubes in oil until golden brown. Drain on paper towel. In a small bowl, combine remaining ingredients. Add croutons and toss to coat. Ladle soup into bowls and top with croutons. Yield: 6-8 servings (2 quarts).
Originally published as Gourmet Potato Soup with Croutons in Bountiful Harvest Cookbook 1994, p46
Reviews for Gourmet Potato Soup with Croutons(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review