This is a mouthwatering new twist on grilled cheese that’s a cheese-lover’s dream come true. You’ll be hooked! Feel free to skip the olives or swap breads to suit your taste. —Beth Dunahay, Lima, Ohio
- 2 slices sweet onion
- 1 teaspoon plus 1 tablespoon butter, divided
- 5 Greek olives, sliced
- 2 teaspoons spicy brown mustard
- 2 slices rye or pumpernickel bread
- 3 tablespoons crumbled feta cheese
- 2 slices Swiss cheese
- Saute onion in 1 teaspoon butter in a small skillet until tender and lightly browned. Add olives; cook 1 minute longer. Spread mustard over bread slices. Layer one slice with onion mixture and cheeses. Top with remaining bread. Spread outside of sandwich with remaining butter.
- Toast sandwich in a small skillet over medium heat for 2-4 minutes on each side or until cheese is melted. Yield: 1 serving.
Originally published as Gourmet Grilled Cheese Sandwich in Simple & Delicious December/January 2013, p90
Reviews for Gourmet Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed May. 8, 2015
"This was good, but not what I expected. I thought it would taste sort of Mediterranean with the olives and feta, but it didn't. It just tasted like a fancy grilled cheese sandwich. As advertised, I guess!"
Reviewed Feb. 12, 2015