These drizzled confections look gorgeous and taste over-the-top yummy. With peanut butter flavor and a salty burst, they’ll be the treats you can’t wait to make each year. —Simple & Delicious Test Kitchen
- 4 large tart apples
- 4 wooden pop sticks
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 4-1/2 ounces white candy coating, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon shortening
- 1 package (11 ounces) Kraft caramel bits
- 2 tablespoons water
- 4 pretzel rods, coarsely crushed
- 1/2 cup Reese's pieces
- Line a baking sheet with waxed paper and grease the paper; set aside. Wash and thoroughly dry apples. Insert a pop stick into the top of each; set aside.
- Place chocolate chips in separate microwave-safe bowls. Heat in a microwave until melted; stir until smooth. In another microwave-safe bowl, melt candy coating and shortening; stir until smooth.
- Combine caramels and water in another microwave-safe bowl. Heat in a microwave until melted; stir until smooth. Dip apples into caramel; turn to coat. Immediately press pretzels and Reese's pieces into sides of apples. Drizzle melted chocolate and candy coating over tops. Place on prepared pan; let stand until set. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Gourmet Caramel Apples in Simple & Delicious October/November 2012, p42
Reviews for Gourmet Caramel Apples
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Oct. 14, 2012
"PACKAGED caramels? REALLY? What's gourmet about that?"