Gouda-Stuffed Chicken Recipe
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 2 ounces smoked Gouda cheese, cut into thin pieces
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup apple cider or unsweetened apple juice
- 2 large tart apples, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1. Cut a slit lengthwise through the thickest part of each chicken breast; fill with cheese. In a shallow bowl, combine the flour, salt and pepper. Dip chicken in flour mixture on both sides; shake off excess.
- 2. In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook chicken in 1-1/2 teaspoons oil over medium heat for 8-10 minutes on each side or until juices run clear. Remove and keep warm.
- 3. In the same skillet, saute garlic in remaining oil for 30 seconds. Add broth and cider, stirring to loosen browned bits. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 12-14 minutes or until mixture is reduced to about 1 cup.
- 4. Stir in apples and honey; return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5-7 minutes or until apples are crisp-tender. Serve with chicken. Yield: 4 servings.
1 each: 350 calories, 10g fat (4g saturated fat), 110mg cholesterol, 507mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 1g fiber), 39g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 5 very lean meat, 1 fruit, 1 fat, 1/2 starch.
Reviews for Gouda-Stuffed Chicken
"Dry and tasteless. I will NOT be making this again."
"I liked the sweetness, but added some prosciutto ham in with the Gouda. Will try it next time with some sundried tomatoes, gouda and fresh basilicum. You can either use metal skewers or (my preference) adjustable rings to close up the pockets to keep the insides in. The rings are perfect and are used a lot here in Germany for Rouladen (Beef Rolls)."
"This was very yummy. The only thing I would do differently next time is add a little more cheese, but the chicken breasts I used were a little big so it wasn't a flaw in the recipe. Will make again!"
"Like the other reviewers I did have the cheese leak out but it still tasted great! I really enjoyed the sweetness from the apples and honey with the chicken. I did feel that it needed more garlic or salt because the sweetness was a little overpowering but it still tasted good. A little bit more of a time consuming recipe even though it was easy. I'll probably make it again for a dinner party or guests. I felt it took a little too long for just dinner for me and my fiance."
"This recipe turned out great! I did have some of the cheese leak out like the other reviewer said, but still really good. It was by no means a hard recipe, just time consuming. I use 3 large chicken breasts and butterflied them. I increased the gouda by 1 oz but keep everything else pretty close to the same. I served it with baked sweet potatoes and salad. I will make it again, would be great for company."
"I liked this one. Although I wish there was a way to keep the cheese inside, it runs out."
"This recipe can make anyone look like a gourmet cook. It's wonderful and turns out great every time......"