- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 8 cups torn fresh spinach
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Gouda cheese
- 6 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Line a deep-dish 9-in. pie plate with pastry. Trim and flute edge. Line unpricked pastry shell with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Bake at 450° for 5 minutes. Remove foil; bake 5 minutes longer. Place on a wire rack. Reduce heat to 350°.
- In a skillet, saute the onion in butter until tender. Stir in spinach. Remove from the heat. Sprinkle cheese and bacon into crust; top with spinach mixture. In a bowl, beat eggs. Add the cream, salt and pepper; mix well. Carefully pour into crust.
- Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Gouda Spinach Quiche in The Best of Country Cooking Annual 2004
Reviews for Gouda Spinach Quiche
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Nov. 17, 2013
"This may be my all-time favorite quiche. We did eliminate the bacon, add 1/2 cup mozarella cheese and 3/4 cup chopped baby portabellas. Cooking time was closer to an hour. My noncommental husband said, "This is delicious!""